Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Beginning.....

Posted by Katherine at 10:38 PM
Welcome to my Cake blog!!
I would like to start with my history with cakes. My husband and I have never been big fans of cakes... in fact, we did not have a wedding cake! After my son was born I decided that I would like to start making cakes for my children's birthdays, starting with their second birthday. For my son`s second birthday we had a ball theme. I created a round cake for the birthday. After realizing that the icing was not staying in place, I decided to try fondant. I had never worked with fondant in the past, but the morning of the birthday party, I bought some from a local bakery. I spent the morning learning how to mold fondant and make it stay in place. I have posted a picture below.


For my sons third birthday he asked for a Mickey Mouse party so I started to design a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake for the party. I was not able to do all my ideas for this cake because we were moving the next week and most of our stuff was already packed. I was still able to make a cake that my son loved. I used fondant and little figurines that we had around the house. I would have liked to have more time to make this cake as well and really learn more techniques with fondant, however that is not always possible. I have posted a picture below.



Well these our my first two cakes and I am planning on making many more over the next few years. I am also planning on giving myself more then two days to make a cake. Both these cakes I baked the day before and I decorated them them the day of the party, not enough time!
I want to learn how to be more creative and this blog will be a place for me to share my struggles and victories with cake decorating!

0 comments on "The Beginning....."

Post a Comment